I’ve written previously that I’m a big fan of Audible. I have a monthly subscription and listen to a new business book each month on this audiobook app using my commute time in the mornings. I’ve since come across another audiobook app that I use. It’s called Blinkist.
Blinkist is an audiobook app where you can download the key messages of books. Think back to “cliff notes” in your school days. Remember when you could read a 20 page summary of a 200 page book to know the key themes? Blinkist uses this same principle – and you can just listen like a podcast.
How it works
- When I signed up about a year ago they had a free 7 day trial. The trial let’s you check out whether you like hearing a summary of key messages of prefer reading a book in full.
- I liked the summary versions and so then signed up for an annual subscription where I can download unlimited summaries.
- Each book is summarised in about 15 minutes. They have “blinks” in them that are like chapters of the key themes.
- I still prefer Audible (where I listen to the whole book) over Blinkist. I like understanding the details and all the anecdotes and stories associated with a particular book
- However, Blinkist has been great for finding out a bit more about certain books. I use it to quickly find out if a book is worth me downloading on Audible to hear in full. I also use it to know a little more about a business book I feel I should read but don’t want to!
So, overall it comes down to personal preference as to whether Audible or Blinkist might suit you better. I use both audiobook app features during my commute time, as a key way to grow my skills.
Related posts you may like:
The best business tip I ever got (and am so glad I followed it!)
My secret weapon for (mostly!) sticking to a regular fitness schedule
My 6 best work books I gave to my direct reports last Christmas
Don’t have time to read? Try this audiobooks app
How disagreeing with the CEO led to my next career opportunity
The audiobooks app I use to quickly get key messages from business books